Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 10, 2010

William Blake wrote this little poem in the 19thC:

To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour.

I had never given this poem much thought until recently when I walked with the twins in the yard. The meaning of `life-long education' became so real when I watched Iman pick a dry leaf that fell from the cempedak tree, and held it so tightly as if it was the most precious thing in his life.Imran found a piece of gravel and screamed with so much pleasure that I allowed him to grasp it in his tiny fist, dirt and all.
To see the world through the eyes of a child is to wake up from a dream. How many of us have forgotten what a drop of rain feels like? Why do we growl when it rains or scowl when it's hot? Nothing is right anymore. Even the food we push into our mouths is never really perfect. But if we could hold infinity in the palm of our hand, to pause a little while from thinking about our woes and sorrows, then perhaps we will see the beauty and blessings in so many things.
I have a video of ImanImran jumping and yelling and dancing and all because I said "Let's go out for a drive." And for so many years BT (Before the Twins) that phrase bears no meaning unless it's attached with "...to the Pavilion" or any specific destination of my pleasure.
And that is why my early retirement from a routine job gives so much room to plan my day. Mornings until their nap-time at noon is for the babes; afternoons for paperwork and my evenings for meetings with clients. And there is 'eternity in an hour' if you can train your brain to think and plan as you bounce a baby -or two-on your lap. Oh, I mean a baby. The little mite under two years of age?? That kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment