Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Age & Image

I'd rather be a chameleon
and change my colours
to suit my surroundings;
but I'm not a chameleon.

An original free verse! Just how important image is especially to a woman in this topsy-turvy times. There's so much obligation to fulfill, can she ever be herself? Or does she go ahead and have courage to do what I've done?
About 5 years ago I decided I'd stop fooling myself, trying to be whom I was not. It was tentatively tried at first because I was still serving in the government sector where a certain decorum is expected of one; so I thought I was happy being archtypical...quintessential...safety in numbers, whatever, except that in group photographs every other lady looks like the next woman: long loose floral shirt over black baggy pants, black handbag, black court shoes and a so-called `matching' scarf tied below her chin. And that is considered being `modern', you know, otherwise, it should be the baju kurung only then will you be the Real Model Teacher.
And can anyone tell me what a grandmother should look like?
Am I that radical just because I let my hair long and loose and I call myself a `Nenek'? OK, I've got a bit of highlight here and there; alright, I admit I do go for colours also but it's absolutely out of necessity...Oh? those red heels? They're by Scholl and meant for old dames like me: stable. My jackets too? They're to keep my aging chest from catching cold. What, even my Burberry and Fendi handbags? They're original. You mean once you hit my age a woman should NOT go for labels and brands? Whose rules?
So you see, there are all those unwritten laws that govern a (Malay) woman's image. Especially a grand-mother. No make up...no fancy outfits...no heels...stay home and rock-a-bye-baby like Mother Goose. Get fat! Babies need all your fat to cushion their softness and frailty. The kitchen, not the office; cook, not chase clients; and knit, oh yes..or in our part of the world, crochet or sew patchworks.
No wonder whenever I hold Iman and Imran's hands when I take them to the Malls and of course they HAD to scream `NENEK!!!" out of sheer excitement, I inevitably get hostile looks from women. "Who does she think she is...two grandsons and still acting young.."
All I can say is..well, I AM young.
The best congratulatory wish I received when I became a grandmother came from YAM(Yang Amat Mulia) Tunku Shahariah binti Almarhum Tunku Abdul Rahman who said "Congratulations, Rohani...don't they make you feel YOUNG again?" very unlike most who smartly commented " Wah, dah jadi nenek, dah tua rupanya."
Seriously, though, I feel that a woman should not succumb to her situation just because society dictates that she should be and look like so-and-so. Do not over-do it, of course. The rule of the thumb is that in clothings, there must be one loose item on you. If you wear a biggish blouse, then put on tapered pants, and a bit of heel. Flats will make you look and feel sloppy. If you wear loose flowing pants, then a small short shirt and a well-cut cardigan that goes just below your waistline is smart. Do not show your behind. Do not show your midriff because well, oftimes at our age, it is not very pretty and not as taut as that teenager's over there.
The bottom line is the way a grandmother behaves. You can be covered from head to toe but if you scream and yell and guffaw like a hyena, well then, you are just another woman. Or if you cover your head and not a single strand of hair shows, but you wear a t-shirt with cap-sleeves or a skirt that stops at calf-length and a pair of green Crocs bought at the night market...then I'd say wham bam thank you ma'am, I'll go scarfless but still be a lady. And still be a grandmother. A Grand Mother. That adjective is there for a reason.

3 comments:

  1. Well said. Yeeesh...please don't go back to the Role Model Teacher look. Iman n Imran would run away from you.. LOL! -Adik

    ReplyDelete
  2. A thought-provoking article, Nek Na. But seriously, and honestly, I agree with you.

    Even though you were talking in the feminine gender, I guess it equally applies to the male species as well! Nek Nab will be ecstatic when she reads this.

    It is simple when someone has the money as well as the time like you do. You can shop for the most expensive wear, indulge in good food and have YAMs for company. And now, the envy of most women, you have identical twin grandchildren. I should say you are finally having a full life to live. And most importantly, God has bestowed upon you the best of health for you to enjoy your days.

    I still have not been a grandfather but I can be a good one. Yes, I can. In case you have forgotten, my youngest daughter Juita is only three. When people asked me, after Abe and Emek got married, when will I get a grandchild? ( And I suspect they’re thinking when will I get old !!! ). My one and only simple answer: I am not yet ready for a g/child as my daughter is only three!! I am still young for a g/child!! Ha ha ha… And like you, I am still YOUNG. 57 years young!!

    When I think about this ( which you very well started !) it makes me realise that what I am doing this very moment requires a young energetic man. I travel 70km a day, work until 7.30 in the evening, wake up daily at 5.30 in the morning including my off-days. And there’s little Juita to take care of…. Ah, surely not a simple job for an old man, right?

    Growing old is a natural process. If we allow it to impede our life, that’s it. In no time at all, we will start to decay. I am man and older than you. I am also aware of this ageing process and the impact it has in my life. So how do we go about tackling this process?

    Look around you and see at a few old men. I can bet you you’ll see this. Their graying hair is long and unkempt. They’ll be wearing a wrinkled tee-shirt which is untucked and let loose to hang over their bulging belly. The pants will be in a similar state. Then there’s a pair of muddy sandals/flip-flop adorning their feet. Finally there’s the whitish 3-day old whiskers to complete the picture of an old man!

    I believe when we retire or have grandchildren ( I guess that’s the line generally believed to separate the young and old ) we have to start life fresh. Don’t let the episode spoil or destroy us. Overcome what I described earlier about the ordinary old man. It shouldn’t cost a lot of money. Remember our late father, how he trimmed his hair twice a month, crisply ironed all his baju melayu and sarong. Even his kopiahs were shining white. He didn’t spare his shoes/sandals either as they were all polished to the highest level. His dress, in a word, was immaculate.

    I am also very particular about things that shouldn’t pronounced me as an old man! Always trimmed my hair, apply creams to help moisturize my skin. Even shaking hands is very important: mine is very firm! I loathe men whose handshakes are limp and squishy.

    And, Insya Allah, very soon I will be a Grand Father, too, just like u!!

    I will never be an old man. To me, old age is always fifteen years older than I am.
    - Bernard Baruch

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've made me appear dazzling but remember the tale of Sleeping Beauty and how she had to fight her way out of the wilderness? It's metaphorically my life but Allah is putting me through this trials and tribulations to test my strength and willpower. And faith. I'm still battling, believe me...but our forefathers had a point when they said Smile and the world smiles with you; cry, and you cry alone. How true. But let's look at the silver linings in each cloud! I'm wonderfully optimistic, Good Heavens :-) Good topic for another Post, hm.

    ReplyDelete