Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Eid

Taking a little respite from the things I do, having realised this is the ONLY ONE post in the month! And today the 30th of Sept., I have yet another weary Raya Open House to attend. It's the topic of my post because with my limited knowledge of the workings of the human mind, I have still to understand the reason why there is so much to celebrate in the month of the Holy Eid.
I may be wrong, but I think it's only in prosperous State of Johor that `Hari Raya' is `Bulan Raya', where the citizens celebrate with a frenzy. I stand to be corrected: a month is insufficient! Individuals and Companies and Government Institutions, an `Open House' is vital. You do not do it, you are deemed unsociable, poor or even "This year they got no money to do open house, ma...very poor thing, ma.."
What does the Eid mean? A day to `celebrate' the end of Ramadhan. Muslims cannot observe fasting on that one day. They are encouraged to wear clean clothes, go to the Mosque for the raya prayers. Come home, eat.
And this year, I did exactly that. Clothes, included, believe it or not, because as I mature, I begin to eliminate excessive practice. I looked at all those bajus in French lace and RM400 per metre materials that go under impressive Italian names, worn at selected functions; those fancy designer beaded clothes that oddly `shrink' over the years; my collection of stilletos and pointed-toed shoes in all colours..handbags...and what did I buy for raya this year? A well-cut bomber jacket in brown, and dark Levi's! No, not for Raya, but for other practical purposes.
Another practice that often jars on my nerves and which I always seek the reason why it's done, is the "Maaf Zahir dan Batin" bit.
You mean to say, on that one occasion, the raya, arch enemies walk up to each other, extend their hands and say "maaf zahir dan batin" and all sins are forgiven? Come on...I can see all the horns in their minds. And in Johor, it is a huge big thing you know. Having come from the more lax practice in Kelantan where people just salam and that is all, over here families sit facing each other, and with tears actually rolling down the faces, beg to be forgiven all sins, all food and drinks consumed while the other party look really forlorn and sad and say "Me too...please forgive whatever wrongs I've done to you.."..and the next thing, they laugh in complete merriment as their sins are, er, forgiven. And they sit in little groups and resume their gossips and back-bitings. As I said earlier, I am naive. For me, everything must come from the heart. You do not wait for the Eid. You wait for the conscience within you. When you are prepared to forgive and seek forgiveness, do it, anytime.
Ah well..
One cannot be a recluse, a hermit. If the society dictates this is how the Eid ought to be celebrated, then just go ahead and join forces lah. And don't complain of being weary!

No comments:

Post a Comment